New York Musings

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Parent Teacher Conferences

The biggest, scariest two days of the semester are over. These were actually the easiest that I have had yet. I am not sure if it is because the weather was finally nice and so nobody wanted to go to a school when they didn't have to, or if it was because I've been better about sending home progress reports and have had the same kids all year, but I barely had any parents. I mean, still around 30, but when you could be teaching up to 160 students a day as a math teacher (or have over 300 students if you teach an A/B day class like gym), only 30 is nothing. I actually only have about 100 students now because the statistics classes are small.

So, the funny story of this semesters P/T conferences goes to the librarian, a dear friend of mine.

Mother: My son says that he never checked out a book. He shouldn't have a fine and I want his report card (which you can't get if you have outstanding fines)
Librarian: What is your son's name? I can look it up in the computer.
Mother: My son is _______. This is ridiculous. My son is always getting blamed for things. The school called me and said that people are accusing him of having hacked into the school's computer network and into other people's computers... It is all completely ridiculous. My son would never do anything like that. He is a good kid.
(as the mother is going on, Librarian sees in the computer what book the boy checked out).
Librarian: I am sorry, but I do personally remember checking this book out to your son. You will have to pay the fine.
(Mother pays the fine)
Librarian: Also, if you see the book at home, we would still like to have it returned. I would appreciate if you could look for it.
Mother: Fine, I will. What is the name of the book.
Librarian (trying not to chuckle or laugh): How to Hack Into Computers


HAHAHA... that is so funny. I mean, I feel bad, but it's funny. The librarian checked the date and realized it was like 4 days before the school had all the reports of this kid doing some hacking. Im not sure exactly what the problems were, but I know a lot of people were involved. Quite incriminating evidence, I would say though. Silly boy.

I was also told that I am a large contributing factor in the downfall of public education. That was the low point of the conferences. This woman says that her son "isn't being reached" and that I "and all his other teachers are losing him." I am sorry, but her son doesnt do any work or take any notes. He really is bright, but he is lazy. Sweet kid though. He had the guts to wear a republic pin all during election time even though everyone gave him a ton of guff for it. I may not have been super pro-Bush, but it's hard to go against the grain in high school.

Anyways, back to topic. I survived parent teacher conferences. It is always the time that I feel the oldest though because I realize that there is a community of adults (parents) who regard me as ... hmm... an authoritative adult. I'm an educator. I still dont buy it. I just think I am a really really good actress playing the part of a teacher. Maybe I am. Maybe there is no difference. Regardless, I'm here and growing up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home