New York Musings

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Shopping and a Convent

Today was a long and hot day. First I went with Brunos mother downtown to do some shopping. I came back feeling nasty and sweaty. Probably because I was. I took the most desired shower of my life while rocking out to some Shania Twain (or maybe it was Faith Hill, but I still say theyre the same person.) Then Bruno and I watched a movie while the hottest part of the day passed. Around 4:30 we went with his mother to a 500 year old convent that is at the highest point in Vitoria. The story goes that when the Catholic folk were coming here, trying to figure out where to build, they saw some sort of a sign and followed it to this point. As you travel to the convent, you pass through luscious plants and all sorts of fruit trees, apparently one of the few remaining parts in the area with the original forestry. Once there, I took a ton of good pictures of the whole area. When I am back I will post everything.

Since then I've just been sneaking naps while pretending to read. Today's strategy was to lay on this couch at the top of the wood stairs. If Bruno was coming, I would hear him on the stairs, hurry to pick up my book, and strategically place my ahdn on the side of my face where I imagined the texture imprint from the pillow would be. I'm so zany when Im tired.

A few new recipes again. First is an avocado dessert. It is simple and, again, oddly good. You put an avocado in the blender and puree it. Then add milk and sugar. Done! It makes like an avocado pudding.

The meal of the day was a type of black bean dish. Maybe if Bruno reads this someday (and discovers my sneaky nap tricks) he can post what it is actually called. Regardless, the ingredients are fried bananas, black beans, cut up sausage, and some sort of wheat germ, plus spices.

I've had many different bean dishes. The first night was a black bean soup with noodles in it. It looked like worms in mud, but it was good.

Im hungry. That's enough for now. Only one and a half more days. (No post on Friday since I will be in flight)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home