New York Musings

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Necesito aprender falar portugeus!!

I should have studied my portugeuse better!! I didnt realize that in Sao Paulo I would have to take a bus to a different airport about an hour away. All on my own. And nobody spoke english. Plus, my flight was delayed in NY, so I missed my connection and had to rebook my ticket in Sao Paulo. That wasnt too tough, but I had to call my friend to tell him what happened. That was the trick. All pay phones here use a card that you have to insert. I had to find out where to buy the card though, which was not just like a vending machine near the phones. There is an actual office with people on a different level of the airport. Who dont speak english. Then, since it was right next door, I went to the post office also. THey also didnt speak english but I communicated that I needed to send post cards to the US. When she asked if I had the 10 cents also, I understood and in fact did have it. I was thrilled.

When I arrived in Vitoria, I didnt realize that when you get off the plane you get your bag there on the runway. There was a baggage claim in Sao Paulo. So, since I was like the 4th person off the plane, I just went inside. After wandering around, I tried following the lead of others, and quickly realized they all had bags. I had to explain to the desk person that I had no idea what I was doing, which Ive become sufficiently adept at expressing, and he found my bag, while I found my friend in the meantime.

So far, so good overall. Geckos, bugs, but waterfront property. Amazing view. The run the marina across the river, so we may kayak across. Crazy.

I will try to update regularly, or at least a couple of times during the trip. I will be safe!

3 Comments:

  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger MorsaJones said…

    whenever i hear stories like this.. (or when stories like this happen to me.. greece was fun..) i think of the people who condescend to people in our country who don't speak english.. kids in schools who sit in a classroom every day not learning much of anything because they can't even understand the directions to the assignment. imagine feeling that way every day.. living in a new country and can't communicate well enough to get exactly what you need..

     
  • At 3:59 PM, Blogger MorsaJones said…

    (and i'm glad you're blogging your way around brazil.)

     
  • At 6:29 PM, Blogger -Laurel- said…

    Yay! I'm glad you made it safe. Have fun- you can send me a postcard if you like that sort of thing

    1440 Rock Glen Ave. #7
    Glendale, CA 91205

     

Post a Comment

<< Home