New York Musings

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

On the set

I love teacher field trips!! Instead of the "professional development" activities other schools do, we got to go on a field trip to the new school site - Kaufman studios. They tape Sesame Street and Law and Order: trial by jury, along with other things, at those studios. I got to see the real Snuffle... umm... I dont know how to spell it.. snuffleupagus? Everyone knows who I mean. It is huge!! I got to see inside of Oscar the Grouch's garbage can too (3 monitors so the muppetteers can see where they are going). Also interesting, the men who play big bird and elmo are the original people from when the show began 35 years ago. They are apparently these crazy men in their 70's. How cute!

The Trial By Jury set was really interesting too. I dont know why, but I always would have assumed things like the tile on the floor were real tiles. Even standing on the set, I thought that they were real. It wasnt until one of the set designers explained that it is all just wood painted REALLY elaborately and textured, AND i bent down and touched it, that I believed it wasnt real. Quite amazing.

So, regarding my earlier comment, about that it is the future school site, that is exactly what I meant. Kaufman studios donated part of their land for us to build a school on. Right now it is used for a parking lot, but they have two others. We will have a partnership with the studios. How exciting! There will be stars all around my school! Neat!

The move isnt scheduled to occur until summer 2007, though. Who knows by then. AT least for now I got a free t-shirt and hat!

1 Comments:

  • At 12:57 PM, Blogger Jennifer Q said…

    I don't know. Obviously, it isn't filmed there anymore. They gave us a bunch of handouts and stuff, including famous productions that had come from those studios, and Friends wasn't one of them.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home