New York Musings

Thursday, March 31, 2005

At the risk of sounding heartless....

I am going to briefly weigh in on the Schiavo issue. I think a lot of people are nuts. In one article it said a musician woman who had been outside the hospital said it had "broken her heart." What?! I am sorry, but a promising teen killed by a drunk driver is heart breaking; a parent of three children killed by accident in a subway shooting is heart breaking; a four year old shooting his two year old brother is heart breaking; the MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WITHOUT ACCESS TO CLEAN WATER is heart breaking. The passing of a woman who has been without cognitive function for 15 years - that is not, in my opinion. Granted, I do not have the right to say what breaks other people's hearts, but I will use my blogger to say that there are some crazy, short sighted people out there. All these people who are putting hours and hours of thought and effort into this issue probably don't think twice about topsoil erosion, water pollution, destruction of the coral reefs, or, even more relevant - overpopulation, the earth's carrying capacity, and a lack of resources. Maybe I am the short sighted one, but if I am without cognitive function, I would much rather the resources spent on bathing me, feeding me, medicating me, clothing me, keeping me warm, and everything else be put towards some children who don't own coats in the winter or towards installing more drip irrigation systems on farms to conserve water. Americans.... I can only just shake my head. Heart breaking....

1 Comments:

  • At 2:16 PM, Blogger -Laurel- said…

    I agree with you. but that's just because you are right. ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home