New York Musings

Monday, April 18, 2005

Estoy esperando ir a Venezuela

Well, i did it. I submitted my application for a mission trip this summer. For the last few months I have been saying Thailand Thailand Thailand. Then, at the last minute, as I was finishing the application and ranking the trips, I looked one last time at the Venezuela trip and said, sorry Thailand, Venezuela. I am not sure what exactly caused the change. Heres some background.

Organization: Real Impact Missions
Dates: July 5-August 2
Possible trips: Venezuela, Thailand, NYC

The Thailand trip is a group of about 15 to 20 people. They work at an orphanage that was started by a pastor to save female children from prostitution. Since prostitution is legal, many families sell their children either because they can't afford to keep them or because they just don't want them. The orphanage hunts down families who they believe will do this, either because they have sold daughters before or because of their financial crisis, and offer to take the daughter instead and feed, shelter, and educate her. In addition to helping there, they work with university students teaching English and other miscellaneous outreach activities.

The Venezuela trip has a more diverse focus. For the first two weeks, there is a group of 50 to 60 people. They work with the youth and do drama activities and teach about Christianity. They work in schools, parks, and anywhere they're needed. Then, in the middle of the month, another group of medical missionaries come and join the larger group. During that time, they work with the community about treating and preventing some of the diseases, trying to help as many people as possible in a short time. The larger group assists the medical team during this time. After the medical team leaves, usually some other have stuck around and done some more community projects, but since this year there are only about 6 who would be able, they have decided to all fly back together and debrief in Miami instead of in the country as they normally do.

So, I submitted the application and they contacted me today. We spoke about the specifics of each of the different trips (except for the NYC trip which I said absolutely not to), and about the possiblity of being an advisor or a team leader. The majority of the people involved in these missions are in their late teens or twenties. The team advisors each have a group of five to six people who they sort of watch out for and oversee, making sure nobody goes out on their own while also leading Bible studies and discussing all of the thoughts and feelings that are experienced during the mission. The team leaders sort of help oversee everything. I told them that I am willing to serve wherever I am needed. I also expressed that I think I can manage a group of 6 teenagers, or a group of 20 teenagers (especially ones who WANT to be there).

I am really excited about this. I look forward to the growth and the experience. I hope everyone will support me, especially those Spanish speakers by drilling me until then (haha). But honestly, I am lucky to have such wonderful loving friends and family who I know will support me and encourage the work that I hope to do.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:25 PM, Blogger -Laurel- said…

    That's exciting. Hopefully it will be a rewarding experience. And Venezuala sounds less depressing that the Thailand mission. Saving kids from prostitution is noble and necessary, but really sad.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home