New York Musings

Friday, May 13, 2005

Slow down, you move too fast

Do I? How fast is "too fast" really? Does that mean that if you are not taking the time to enjoy things, you are moving too fast? I think maybe it does. Everyday on the way home, I pause in front of a lilac tree to make sure that I enjoy the smell.

A school in Brooklyn has offered me a position as a math coach. For those people from outside of NY Education, which is pretty much everyone who reads this, this is a position in between a teacher and an administrator. A math coach does not teach, or maybe only one period a day, and sort of coordinates and develops math instruction. During this year, this is what I have done to be qualified for this position:
1. I have my master's degree in mathematics education (in two weeks).
2. I have been attending leadership training at Bank Street College.
3. I attended a three day seminar at the request of the regional instructional superintendent on Geometer's Sketchpad.
4. I have been regularly meeting with the Assistant Principal of instruction about math related issues and developments.

I really like the school that I am at, but we don't have a math coach or a department leader, so math intstruction is chaotic at best. I have some students enrolled in three classes at the same time. This should never be allowed. If a student cant pass one math class at a time, why would they be able to pass when they are taking three? They can't. But, we dont have anyone leading the mathematics department, so guidance does whatever they want when they pick the students classes. It is a total mess. I would like to be the math coach here, but they are shuffling their feet about getting it shoved through.

But, i dont want to work in Brooklyn. I like living in Astoria and working at a performing arts high school. So, do I try to convince this school to get on the ball? Do I think in a more career minded way and just try to get a coach position somewhere, figuring the quicker I can move up in the board of ed, the better? Or do I try to go back to just doing basic teaching duties and enjoy being a teacher for a bit? How fast do I really want to move? I sit in these leadership meetings and i am easily 15-20 years younger than everyone else in the room.

These are the other options:
1. Move back in with mom in idaho falls and mooch off of her and do nothing.
2. Move in with Laurel, get a domestic partnership so that I can be on her health insurance and let her support me (still dating guys, of course - it's just business folks).
3. Stay in the situation I am in and just pray that I dont get so completely taken advantage of that I have a mental breakdown next year.


Ugh.... being an adult is rough work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home