New York Musings

Saturday, October 16, 2004

Unplugging 100 Computers

Ok, I dont know if it was actually 100. I am sure it was at least that though. Every classroom has 3 computers. There are 2 teacher work rooms that each have 3. The big workroom had 12, plus all of the administrative offices (about 20).

I was a proctor for the PSATs today. Originally I was going to post about that. It's not as interesting anymore. Afterwards, I stuck around because the school quartet was rehearsing and the violist wasnt there yet, so I sat in. In the middle, the power went out. 1 out of every 4 lights in the hallway was still on, but everything else was out. I was just about to leave when it happened. Well, I was still there, the AP (assistant principal), and two other teachers were still around. The AP said he unplugged his computer, and I said, "Don't they all have surge protectors?" He said no, and that his was on at the time, so he turned it off. I said, "Umm, I think if they don't have surge protectors it doesnt matter whether they are on or off when the power comes back on." He was like... right.. So, in a school with hundreds of thousands probably invested in technology, they decided to spare the 6 dollars per computer on purchasing surge protectors. So, to be safe, we went around to every classroom, and unplugged the computers, printers, and monitors.

Absolutely ridiculous. The only two rooms that had power strips were the main office (NOT the principals office, but the office where like visitors check in and I have no idea what they use computers there for anyways) and the room with like 20 keyboards (of the piano style, not computer style). Of course, the keyboards were not actually plugged into the power strips though, or at least only 2 or 3 were, so we still unplugged all of them.

On the journey, we did realize that a science teacher who wasn't supposed to had taken a laptop and a projector and had them stashed behind the door. He also took a telescope home without permission to "calibrate" it. Dont they have to be recalibrated every time they are moved though? Fishy....

So that was my day. However, thanks to the union, any work that is done outside of scheduled hours, regardless of what your yearly salary is, is paid at the rate of 37 dollars per hour. Thats nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home