New York Musings

Friday, October 08, 2004

Discipline Codes

Today in "advisory" we distributed the city-wide discipline code. As we began going through this little "true-false" activity with the kids where they said what they thought to be true about the discipline code, and we corrected them, I realized how crazy writing one would be. For example, one of the questions was whether a student can bring a guest into the building. The correct answer is that they may, but the guest must be approved by the administration and check in with the front desk. The same applies to guests of teachers.

The punishment for an infraction of this sort can be anything from detention up to a superintendent's suspension which last for anywhere from 6 to I think 30 school days (6 weeks of class). The students were appalled at such a harsh punishment for simply bringing in a friend, and I was too at first until I remembered last year, and other's stories from last year.

At Stevenson High School, a mob of students came into the building, broke the lock or handle on a teacher's door (i teacher I know personally) and came into the room to beat up a student over some gang problems. Obviously, bringing guests of these types into the building SHOULD result in a harsh punishment. I explained that to my students here, that this school is a hundred times safer than most schools in new york city.

Which brings me to the main point. How can one discipline code be expected to apply to such a diverse population of schools? One code works for every middle and high school. I think that the discipline procedures should have general guidelines, but that they should be made at least at the regional level (NYC is divided into 10 instructional regions) or else at the district level. The code is so loosely written that swearing can be punished by anything from a call home to a suspension. Basically, all it says is for almost everything, your home can be called or you can be suspended, based on the severity and the repetition of the offense.

Just another part of educational policy that I would hate to deal with. I wonder if the money is worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home