New York Musings

Monday, September 13, 2004

I almost cried

I had my first class. 15 students, almost all seniors. The period flew by and before I knew it, I was done. I gathered up my things, sat at my desk a moment, and then stepped out into the hallway. Coming from teaching in the Bronx, it was like I had just set foot in heaven. The hallways were clear, and quiet. Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata was playing from the next door over. Some teachers were passing, saying hello happily to each. I leaned against a locker and just enjoyed the moment as my eyes got a little misty.

So.. my first day is over. As I told someone, the hardest day to plan for is the first day because you have nothing to build on. The whole day flew by. I have a funny schedule where I teach a period, off a period, teach, off, teach two, off, teach, off. So, before I know it, I am done. Also, my classes are each only 40 minutes as compared to last year where they were 90. When a lesson starts going bad, about 20 minutes into it, with a 90 minute period life turned immediately dreary. The worst that happens here is that I endure 20 minutes of pain. The kids were all friendly and fabulous. They even all had paper and writing utensils!!!!!! I had them write their 5 most important class rules down and the spelling was correct and everything.

I am very happy with my move. I doubt that I will ever regret leaving my last job.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great. I forgot to tell you good luck on your first day with kids but I guess I didn't need to. Bad Mom, anyway. Love you. Mom

     
  • At 10:41 PM, Blogger Jennifer Q said…

    This message is only directed to a few people... in one of my classes, I have a Linda, a Laurel, and a Jennifer. Funny huh?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home