New York Musings

Sunday, August 15, 2004

Bronx Student going to ACI

Ok, since the majority of the people that read my blog went to Albertson, I figure that this will be a good forum for some "leaving for college" suggestions, both for going to C-Town and for just going away to college.

So here is the scenario... Last year in addition to teaching math, I led the school "band." That is a story on its own. One student was a senior. He was 19 years old, only three years younger than me, which was weird, so the first thing I asked him was what his college plans were. Well, to summarize, after a lot of applications, all of which were responded to with acceptances, he is going to go to Albertson College in the fall.

Obviously, he has never been to Idaho. He is going to leave New York City on the faith that I am right that he will actually be happy at ACI. School starts in a couple of weeks, so he is winding down on the final preparations. So, if anyone has any suggestions, advice, professors to avoid, etc, he reads my blog page, so this would be a good place to post them. Thanks for the help! I just know there are things I'm forgetting.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:56 PM, Blogger Sam said…

    What is he majoring in?

     
  • At 3:06 AM, Blogger Jennifer Q said…

    I think his majors are going to be business and music. As far as classes go, I recommended that he take the general music classes, freshman composition first semester, maybe a study skills class, and a history, math or general science requirement. Im worried that besides major culture shock, he will also have classroom culture shock. Where he comes from, the kids yell, get into fights all the time, and have no respect for teachers. While it will be a good change, Im trying to think of classes that will help him transition well into a much more intense and rigorous education. For example, I said I wouldnt take Burger or Angresano first semester.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home