New York Musings

Friday, September 10, 2004

My Monies!

Last night, after working hard to develop a unit plan on transformations, rotations, dilations, etc, otherwise known as transformation geometry, I remembered that I hadn't checked my mail. To my delight, an envelope was in my mailbox from the NYC Dept of Education. I hurredly tore into it and scanned over a short document describing the status of the salary increase that I had applied for. Unfortunately, the message was encoded. Okay, okay. The word "encoded" may have been a little overdramatic, but instead of having anything that said "accepted" or "denied" it just had some dates and some codes for pay grades.

I rewoke my computer which had just barely been put to sleep for the night, and went to the Dept of Education website for the meaning of the codes. I had been given the salary differential for a B.A. + 30 credits with 36 credits in math. I had applied for the one with a B.A. + 60 credits, which makes about 2500 more a year. Also, the last required courses I took were in the fall semester, so I should be paid from February until now, but the slip only said it was going back to July 1.

At first, I was upset. The difference would mean quite a bit of money. I stressed out and figured I would end up having to get involved in some big union paperwork that would take months and months. Luckily though, when I called the salary differentials office, the man who answered the phone was the man who had processed my application. He said to call back in a few hours and he would let me know.

So.... I called back. He said, "I'm sorry, I just made a math mistake, but you were right. I changed it in the computer, so you will get the pay raise and it will be effective from February 1, 2004. You will get a new paper in the mail soon."

HOORAY!!!!!!

Again, I would like to thank ACI for screwing me out of my two degrees. I will now be getting back paid 4000 dollars and a $7000/year pay increase as a result. Maybe I should send the registrar's office a bonus.

Well... on second thought....

4 Comments:

  • At 12:26 PM, Blogger Ines Tucakovic said…

    The Bronx kid you wrote about a while
    back is in my Music Theory class (Alex,
    was that his name?). A really nice and
    outgoing kid!

     
  • At 11:46 AM, Blogger Jennifer Q said…

    Yay! That's great to hear. Did you tell him you already knew all about him?

     
  • At 2:49 AM, Blogger -Laurel- said…

    Awesome! Congratulations! That's a lot of money. I'm due for a raise soon, but I doubt it will be so good. Nonetheless, it will be awesome.

     
  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger Ines Tucakovic said…

    LOL. Yea, I told him he had a whole
    "blog" dedicated to him on your page.
    He was laughing his head off!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home