New York Musings

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Back to Work

As a teacher, there are two first days each year. Tuesday was my first day of work. Next Monday will be my first day of classes.

My new job is great. I've never done anything before that seemed like such a perfect fit. The teachers and the staff at this school are GREAT. Everyone is really nice, outgoing, and sort of team oriented. In other schools, there is often a lot of rivalry between departments, especially for example, between conflicting extracurricular programs such as sports and theater. Here, it seems like everyone gets along.

The school will have around 530 students this year, the biggest its been since it was founded 3 years ago. There are around 55 employees including teachers and other staff. The math department has 5 teachers. But the other benefit is not the people, but the goods.

The school owns 10 TVs with DVD players. That means that each department gets its own. So, I have a TV that I share with 4 other people, 1 of which I never teach at the same time as since we share a room. There are 70 laptops with wireless internet that can be used in class. There are 4 smartboards also available. Every classroom has at least 1 teacher computer and 2 for student use. Also, every teacher has their own desk, filing cabinet, and large storage closets. There are 2 teacher workrooms, each with 3 computers and a printer, and a whole staff computer lab with about 10 computers and printers in it.

I don't want to overwhelm too much in case there are current teachers out there crying right now, so I won't start on the arts facilities.

However, like every "first day" in my life, this cloud has a silver lining. (anyone who has heard me "first day in New York" story knows what Im talking about) I went to my first day of work yesterday, then to my college class. I was sitting in the cafeteria chatting with some other Teaching Fellows, feeling rather cold. Well, the cold feeling developed into some pretty intense shivering, which grew into a fever of 103 by the time I got home. I took some Aleve and went to bed, hoping it would be gone today. When I awoke, I was presently surprised to find that I felt fine, with my temp back down to 97. But, of course, there has been "tropical rain" all day so the subways were shut down due to flooding. Work started 2 hours late today. Oh well. At least I love my job.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:10 PM, Blogger MorsaJones said…

    wow wow wow.. what a change, huh? next you'll tell me the band has STANDS and regular CHAIRS to sit in rather than at desks.. that sounds great.. where does the money come from?

     
  • At 10:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Wow <- Another one. ;)

    All the best in teaching while I'll do my best in learning. I just transferred to a new university from a community college and just the facilities of that school makes me not want to come home. :)

     
  • At 2:40 AM, Blogger -Laurel- said…

    congratulations. sounds like it's a teacher's dream. Good luck.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home