New York Musings

Sunday, October 03, 2004

Update

Okay, so, I have fallen behind on my blogging. First of al, I apologize. I know that there are some out there which have pet peeves about unupdated blogs. I will try to do better.

Life has been crazy over here. Some things are good crazy, some things are bad crazy. Mostly good though. My job still totally rocks. I could not ask for a better set of administrators or students. My seniors have a lot of gaps in their skills. I had been warned about that, but it really is a problem. The saddest part about it at this school is that the students are all so intelligent, but the math teachers that they had here before were so poor that the students haven't learned a lot. I'm doing my best though and I've seen changes in so many of them who came in saying that they hated math and now they are saying that they think they actually like math. It's nice to be working in a job where there are some immediate signs that you are actually making a difference.

I got my new lease in the mail, 3 months after I was supposed to receive it. So, I have two months to decide whether or not I want to stay in this apartment. I love the apartment, but I am sick of throwing away so much money each month (a thousand dollars). Katie Comstock just moved in about ten blocks away though and having a friend has completely changed my whole view of the city. I realized that I had become a little hermit here. Katie and I now have a regular Saturday morning brunch, plus we are close enough that if one of us is just bored, we can walk to the other's apartment. Nothing is going to make me give that up right now. So, I am looking at buying an apartment, a co-op to be exact, where I will then kidnap Katie to come live with me. We will see how it works out. I may end up waiting until next summer to actually close on it. I am going to do another post on the whole real estate situation in NYC.

I've made some new friends and become closer with some old friends from the Teaching Fellows program. Every teacher that is starting their second year seems to say that their goal this year is to actually have their own life. That's mine too. I think we all worked ourselves so hard last year and sacrificed so much of our own time that over the summer we realized how much we had changed. I know I did at least. Last night I was supposed to hang out with a couple of people, and I told my mom, "If they don't call by 9:15 I am totally geting my pajamas on and going to bed by 10," and I was SOO excited about it. So, I am still working on convincing myself not to be a hermit, but I did end up hanging out and I had a great time.

Again, I will try to be better. It's just a matter of getting back into the swing of things at work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home