New York Musings

Monday, June 27, 2005

Giving up? Giving in? Moving on?

Dreams and goals are a funny thing. Some goals you don't realize you have until ten seconds before you need to act upon them, and some you develop ten or twenty years ahead of time.

I've wanted to be a teacher since I was in the third grade. At the time, i thought to teach you only needed a high school degree, and I wanted the easy way out. The more I worked with students, the more I developed a love and interest in the field.

So the decision that Im considering making is difficult. But, I think I am going to quit teaching. The politics are intense in New York, and perhaps I truly am not thick-skinned enough for the system. Or, perhaps I actually am targeted a little more because I am so easy going, laid back, respectful, and young.

I know, right now, if you know me, you are thinking, "You are being too rash!!! Calm down, take a minute, think this through!!" And to that, I say, I have. A lot, of course. The sad part is that when i started thinking about it, I was kind of excited to not be teaching anymore... to do something else. Its sad that we live in such a broken and hurting world that just being good is a difficult thing to do without almost unbearable resistance.

I do not want to leave education though. At this point, I am hoping to get a position as a math coach (a sort of consultant who works with teachers, especially new teachers, and helps them develop good teaching methods). If not, then I may tutor privately. Either way, after one year, I will be applying to a phD program in educational research that I am very excited about.

Education is where I am meant to be, without a doubt. The issue is determining where I fit into the broad spectrum of jobs associated with education. Still, even thinking about not being a teacher is bizarre to me. Bizarre, alarming, unsettling, saddening.... everything. Sad for the students, sad for the system.... I dont know how to fix education here, but hopefully if I can become a coach, I will be able to impact some things. But who knows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home