New York Musings

Friday, June 10, 2005

Good People Marathon - Part I

This week has been what I would like to refer to as my Good People Marathon. The first portion of these were in New York, the next in LA.

Part I - New York.

1. Friday-Saturday. LaDonne and Ian. They came up from NJ partially to congratulate me for graduating and partially because we hadn't seen each other in a few months. LaDonne is teaching in Camden, NJ and Ian is working at the Public Defender's office in Philadelphia. LaDonne was my roommate my senior year of college and my coworker for the AVID program for two years. LaDonne is a very sensible and loving person with a heart for teens and people. I can always depend on her to support even my craziest ideas. They both have provided invaluable support over the last two years of living out here.

2. Saturday - Danny. He is a New Jersey born venezuelan who lived in Canada for the last ten years. Danny works in TV now and hopes to somehow use TV and media to make the public more aware of ways to help people at home and abroad who are suffering. He lived at an orangutan refuge for a few months at one point. Danny has gone through the same transitions moving to New York less than a year ago. He is good for fun time or for serious time, if he isnt working so hard that he has no time.

3. Monday - Eric. I met Eric this spring. He works with computers doing GIS work in Manhattan, but lives and was raised in New Jersey. Eric has a very genuine and honest personality. His presence reminds me that not everyone has the New York mentality, which is much harder to remember, even not being from New York. He has reminded me to enjoy things in life like music, movies, and simply having fun with someone, even while being a busy teacher. He is also wonderfully supportive of the work that teaching requires and the stress that sometimes occurs. Eric has a fun, sarcastic personaility that washes away any sort of blues and keeps me smiling. He is good for the soul.

4. Tuesday. Mas. He is a friend of friends from ACI. Mas and I never really knew each other in college, mostly just because we were rarely in the same place at the same time. He has just moved to New York for a summer internship and still has the fresh awe of a new New Yorker. He also still has the energy and charisma of the small town West. His excitement about the big city and all that it encompasses reminds me of my first few months in the city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home