New York Musings

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Im a New Yorker!

I did my most thoroughly authentic New York thing today.

I had an audition at ABC with an executive producer!!

That's right... I saw this thing about ABC doing a documentary on dating in New York City, so I sent an email to the producer (Terry Wrong, also known for NYPD 24/7 and Hopkins 24/7). He wrote back and asked me to submit photographs. I Did as he asked, and he said to come by the studios for an interview. I arrived there today and he brought in another man who is on the project, who took out a little digital video camera, spoke to me about the project, and taped my interview. I am supposed to be called back within a week or so if they are interested. They even put my name on my video tape!!

I felt so cool though! I went to the main lobby of ABC and they were like, "Umm.. the TV stuios are next door." And I was like, "No, I am here to meet with Terence Wrong at extension ****." I felt so important!

If you are curious... Here is a snipet of the email that I submitted...

"I read the note about ABC looking for someone to follow around on
their dates. I live in Queens, but I have only been here for about
a year and a half. I moved here from Idaho to be a teacher. Since
I have lived in New York, I have had the worst luck with dating. I
am a very fun, intelligent, silly girl with the charisma, energy,
and open honesty of the west coast that the guys in New York seem to
find irresistable. The only problem is that the men who are REALLY
drawn to me are definetly men I don't want to date.

The longest of my relationships was with a man who was training to
be a pastor at my church. He became mentally unstable after awhile
and, amongst other things, ended up burglarizing my apartment. When
the police came to file the report, one of the officers kept
blatently hitting on me, telling me how beautiful I was and what a
good boyfriend he would be. A month later, the officer came back at
6:30 in the morning to give me his phone number. The detective
assigned to my case started flirting with me, so I giggled a little
and flirted back. One night, he called me at midnight asking to
come over and speak with me. When he arrived, he awkwardly informed
me that he was sorry, but married, and no more could come of the
friendship........."

If chosen, I would go on one-two dates a week with a cameraman accompanying me. They would also video tape me in my home. The main focus is online dating, so I can find my own dates, and choose whether or not to continue dating the person, but it has to be online initially and the person has to consent to being taped.

So, that's a little of what's going on in my life. I think once you've done your first audition, whether you relly ever thought you wanted to be on TV or not, it makes you a New Yorker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home