New York Musings

Monday, November 08, 2004

Annoying Information

I was doing my paperwork for my loans to recognize that I am in the Americorps. While I was on the website, I was looking at the other deferment options. When I looked at the one for "teaching in a shortage area" it said that I was ineligible. This surprised me, because I had always planned on not repaying my loans until I retired. I called salliemae and they said that the reason is because you can only receive benefits for being a teacher in a shortage area if your loans originated before 1993 and mine started in 1999. Well. It's not an inconvenience to me right now, but it just sort of annoyed me, especially since the older a teacher is, the less likely s/he is to be teaching in a high needs or shortage area school. Older teachers move to the suburbs, so it is really the younger people that are deserving the deferment. Plus, new teachers make less money. Things like this need to be incentives to get new teachers to go to the shortage areas.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:22 PM, Blogger MorsaJones said…

    wow. that really sucks. i know i had considered that "option" myself. (i want to teach in a 'shortage' area, although not just for financial reasons..) i wonder why they stopped in 1993. this really urks me. argh. blech. ugh.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home