New York Musings

Friday, July 23, 2004

New York City News

Now that I live in New York, and am actually settled here, I figure that I owe it to the world to share my stories in as close to real time as possible.  Over the last year, the problem was that I only shared with people maybe 2 or 3 times a year, and by then had such a buildup of material that only the most horrifying or ludicrous stories were told as some of the daily grind type of things had drifted into the background. 

Of noteworthy news... it is now raining... again.... There have been more days of rain than anything else.  The humorous part about the rain though is that everytime it begins to sprinkle, the Flood Warning comes on, and what I like to call the umbrella phenomena occurs.  This phenomena is when suddenly within minutes every street corner has an umbrella vendor.  The umbrellas range in cost from usually 3-10 dollars.  So that means there must be at least a 100 to 500 people in New York City, sitting at home with 40 umbrellas, "just in case." 

2 Comments:

  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger MorsaJones said…

    i have a friend from portland. and she says that the p-townies look down on people who use umbrellas. it's not "cool" or "in" or something. they assume that people with umbrellas are tourists. or nerds, i guess. i don't understand it. but they think getting wet shouldn't be a big deal. or you should be able to put up with it. but who wants to spend the whole day being wet (and after a few hours, just moist) when it can be avoided? weirdos.

     
  • At 10:01 PM, Blogger -Laurel- said…

    Yay! Blogs! I too had blog envy, and started one up in March I think. it's at lvail.blogspot.com I don't update as much now as I used to because I am wicked busy all the time, but I try to put the more intersting stuff in there at least.

    Dude, call me. I miss you! Plus, I just called you earlier. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home